Friday, April 30, 2010

Where's the Fruit??


Fruit snack companies are claiming that their produce contains real fruit and consists of a full serving of fruit. The little purple squishy grapes and the tiny oranges are consisted to be healthy versions of the actual fruit they are imitating. Researcher’s methods of selling these products to kids use cartoons to sell their product. The parents also fall into the trap of buying fruit snacks because it claims to have real fruit in it. The similarities between the actual fruit and the imitation are so small that the only thing that they have in common is that the imitation look like the fruit. The imitation has so much sugar in it and other chemicals that it tastes nothing like the actual fruit and is nowhere close to the nutritional values of the real fruit.

The fake food provides essentially none of the vitamins or nutrients of the real food. The first ingredients of fruit snacks are sugar, modified corn starch and gelatin. It has less than 2% of actually healthy ingredients like ascorbic acid (vitamin C) but this is a chemical component and does not actually come from the actual fruit.

At home and at college when I want a snack it is easier to grab a pack of fruit snacks because they can sit on the shelf for a long time and doesn’t expire. Even though I eat fruit snacks I know they have basically no nutritional values so I also try to eat real fruit at the cafeterias. Once I get out of college and get my own apartment where I have a refrigerator and have an income to buy my own food I will buy fruit so I can have it for a snack instead of fruit snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment